Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > Android/Linux Source Code for maxisys pe...
Android/Linux Source Code for maxisys per GPL?

1018 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: 2020-10-15 10:49:31

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    TShackelton
    2020-09-20 19:14:35
    Hi There, I am a linux enthusiast and am curious about your open source android scantools.  The linux source code does not seem to be available on the download page. I am mainly curious about the hardware drivers that interface with the CAN bus, which should most definitely be covered under the GPL, which requires anyone that uses the code to release their modifications (although not any custom applications written). I see that you have your SDK for the autel drone controllers products on github (a GREAT place for this), it's possible it's already there and I've overlooked it. Can you please link me to, or provide the source packages for some of your scantool products (I assume they share most of the software inside)? There are many reasons the source code for these devices would be useful and I can elaborate if you'd like. I assume you are already familiar with the benefits of opensource due to it being an advertised feature.

Thanks..

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2020-09-21 15:22:25 (Reply to:TShackelton)

I seriously doubt that Autel support will reply to your post on here or give you any insight into any proprietary coding that they use in their scan tools. They always seem to want to cover their own butts with messages to back up the software, and have us agree to disclaimers before using it, but  trying to do it no longer seems to work using external  SD card slot because the system always prevents ES Explorer from writing to an External SD card. Creating Backups to USB storage failed repeatedly for me on a Formatted Used USB storage devices of various brands  too , but I managed to get a backup of my Scan Folder copied to a brand new Sandisk 32 GB USB 3 thumb drive using the SS USB receptacle on my Maxisys Elite. I seriously doubt that after your update period is up and you had a issue where you  perform  a Factory Reset to fix the tool and you reinstalled the your scan folder backup software, you would still be prompted  to connect to the internet , and the server won't give the tool the green light for you to access the your reinstalled  Diagnostics software after your update is expired, and you  will need to buy an update anyhow.
      I couldn't even get an answer on the forum about whether the Later production Maxi Sys Elites had improvements that increased the internal memory from 32gb to 64gb and battery from 13,600mah to 15,400mah, so I installed Device Info HW that confirms it has 64gb memory but the battery Power profile displayed is only 6750mah, so I don't know who's telling the truth , the print on the outside of a Chinese battery , or the Russian APP that's giving information about it , LOL, however it seems to say the status is good.
    The App covers information about memory, camera,battery, thermal, sensors, applications, drivers, partitions, PMIC, NET, Input, Codecs, USB. Everything that a Nerd would loves to see but no use to a mechanic that still thinks a Coder is someone that lays back with his joystick coating the walls and call it Painting The Town :-))  

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    TShackelton
    2020-09-22 14:51:00 (Reply to:witsend)
     I hope they are taking the GPL seriously.... They say it's open source all over ads, so where is it? You can't use linux like this and just not provide your modifications. There are ways to do this and protect your IP, such as linking to binary blobs. This is how NVIDIA for example can provide high performance linux drivers without giving everyone access to their "special sauce". Autel "clicked agree" when they decided to distribute someone else's GPL software. Hopefully they will respond.... If not, they really are stealing someone else's software, I wonder how they'd feel out about someone doing this to them? :) I"m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they say, they have provided this some software for the drone controllers (same autel, right?). Hopefully they will do the right thing here too. 

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    TShackelton
    2020-10-11 18:05:48 (Reply to:TShackelton)
    Seriously? Nothing? Do you not honor copyright or IP law? You cannot use GPL Software, modify and sell it for a profit without releasing said modifications. They MUST be released into the public domain per the GPL that covers the kernel software on your devices. You don't need to release everything, just things linked to GPL source. I am not asking for your application source code, I understand that is yours.... I am asking for your modifications to the linux, android and any other software contained in your devices covered under the GPL license. You can always write your own, or use something BSD licensed (like apple did for OSX), you chose to use linux, and even go so far as to tout "Open Source" as a feature!! Where is this open source????? 

Here is some information for you: https://gpl-violations.org/faq/vendor-faq/

•   Level 2   
    (18) points
    tech172062

2020-10-15 10:49:31 (Reply to:TShackelton)

Unfortunately, ask is the case with other companies using the AOSP Linux software,
    they are ultimately protected from releasing their modifications to the source code
    byusing a system application that modifies said source, similar to Samsung' or LG'ss
    android skins. The OS is proprietary and patent protected running on top of vanilla
    Android version. Because of this they can claim "open-source" (Vanilla Android
    version *.* AOSP) and still protect their modifications under intellectual copyright laws.
  Total1 Pages